A Simple Game That Changed My Career & Life

 The Misconception

“Taking a risk can be dangerous.” This was my mind voice before September 2017. “Not taking a risk can be the biggest risk.” And magically, my mind voice changed from that day onwards, September 18, 2017. Every time I feel dejected, I reminisce about that day when I saw two kids kicking and passing the ball to each other.

I had worked in software development for about five years. The first few years were good. But, after a certain point in time, I realized that this is not what I want to do in my life. I have always been passionate about sports and wanted to be associated with this field. But I didn’t attempt to change my career to that field because it was difficult to get out of my comfort zone, and I had some very narrow-minded thinking.

I used to only think about the risks involved in making the switch as it would mean rebuilding my career from scratch. I only thought about the problems involved in being part of an unconventional field. I always thought to myself: “The best way of living a happy life is by making sure that no issues or problems ever crop up.” I was clearly living under a misconception which I would go on to realize much later.

A Simple Game of Kicking & Passing

One day, I and some of my friends decided to meet up on a nearby ground and play a game of football. People come here for walking, jogging, and many kids also come here to play football and cricket. The ground remains completely occupied during the weekends. After playing football for more than an hour, we decided to rest under a tree and chat. Two kids came up to us and asked for the ball as they wanted to play and they didn’t have one. We gave it to them and they started playing by just kicking and passing the ball to each other.

A New Challenge

They were having a good time as it was just kicking and passing. After watching them play for some time I decided to make it a little challenging for them. I went and stood between the two of them. They stared at me, and I had a smile on my face. I said, “Pass the ball to each other by making sure that I don’t get hold of the ball.” They were a little reluctant but they agreed to it. They found it a little difficult as I kept stopping the ball whenever they tried to pass it to each other. But, along with the difficulty level, their concentration level also increased. When I charged towards one of them from the left, he moved to his right and passed the ball to the other kid. When I charged from the right, he moved to his left and passed the ball. He was analyzing the situation and playing accordingly.

An Additional Challenge

I decided to make it more challenging and called one of my friends. Now, two of us were standing at the centre and the kids had to pass the ball to each other by making sure that I and my friend don’t get hold of the ball. The situation got tougher, but they decided to bring the best out of them. They knew that simple passing wouldn’t work now. So, they decided to utilize their skills. One of them started dribbling the ball and kept looking at both of us. It looked like he was trying to figure out our height. He placed his foot under the ball and flicked it. We had our jaws dropped as we watched the ball travel over our heads and reach the other kid. Both the kids jumped up in joy. And, my friend was puzzled when he saw me jumping up in joy as well. That moment was the turning point in my life. “Dude, we have lost. Why are you celebrating?” He asked. I was amazed by their skills, and I noticed that the kid was surprised as he himself had no idea about this talent that he had.

The Important Learning From The Game

We all left after some time. Even after reaching home, I kept thinking about that game. In fact, I kept thinking about it the whole night without being able to sleep. If the game hadn’t got tougher; if I and my friend hadn’t stood at the centre, the kids would have never realized their potential, as they would have just kept passing the ball to each other. I tried to associate the game with our lives. When everything is going normally in our life without any problem, life seems to be very smooth and we display a positive attitude. But when a problem occurs then all hell breaks loose.

We find it very difficult to remain calm and composed because we are not prepared to face the problem. We are not prepared because we keep praying every day that problems should never occur in our lives. But in reality: “Problems are part of life.” When a problem occurs, we are getting the opportunity to discover our strengths and potential, which we would have never realized if we hadn’t faced it.

During the game, the kids kept analyzing whenever the situation got tougher and found a solution to it. Similarly, when a problem occurs in life, we need to analyze what went wrong. If we find out what went wrong, then we can easily find a solution and make sure we avoid the same mistake next time.

An Open Mind

This simple game changed my perspective. It gave me the courage to come out of my comfort zone. I was now ready to take risks, and also to face its consequences boldly. Next, I had to do something about my narrow-minded thinking. I knew that to lead a happy life, we have to be associated with a career field that we like. I wanted to be associated with the sports field but didn’t know how to do it. I thought: “Being a player is the only option in this field, and it’s too late for me to become a player now as I am 27 years old.”

I decided to open up my mind and look at the field in a broad sense. I was able to see multiple options: “I could start a business on sports goods, conduct sports events in my area, provide coaching to little kids, start a sports-based Non-Profit Organization etc. Damn, what was I thinking all along? No Options!! There are so many options, and now I face the challenge of choosing one.” I realized that it is important that we all love the work and not bother much about the field. We may feel that there is just one option in a specific field, but if we really love the work then we will see wide opportunities in the field.

Don’t Blindly Jump Into Anything

I, along with my friend decided to open a small indoor game centre in a nearby area. We also started a sports-based NGO (Non-Profit Organization) as we strongly felt that sports can be used as an effective tool to improve the lives of the underprivileged. However, we did not jump into this blindly. We had to make sure that we had done all the right research and preparation to start our new venture. We studied the area where we wanted to open the game centre, we discussed with the right people, we purchased the required materials at a nominal rate without compromising on the quality, and we promoted our business well.

More importantly, I waited for some time before I quit my regular job. I had to make sure that I was financially stable before I switched to my new venture. And above all, I had a backup, which is very important before starting a new venture. I decided to utilize my writing skills and became a freelance writer. I did my writing job parallelly whenever I got time. So, even if the sports venture fails, I will have my writing job to support me until I rebuild the failed venture.

The Real Failure

That simple game of kicking and passing change my life and made me a whole new person. It thought me to become resilient and look at problems and risks from a different perspective. It made me realize what real failure is. When the outcome of risk falls below expectation then that should not be viewed as a failure. Not utilizing our talent should be considered a real failure. When we miss out on opportunities because of the fear of taking a risk then that should be viewed as a real failure.

The Fear Of Uncertainty

There is a saying, “If you are not growing, then you are dying.” We show growth in our lives only when we take risks. Taking a risk means exploring unknown territories. And, sometimes you need to explore unknown territories to achieve a goal. Taking a risk requires courage to face the fear of uncertainty.

Not taking Risk Can Be The Biggest Risk

While most of us only think about the consequence of taking a risk, we don’t think about the consequences of not taking a risk. One of the major reasons why youngsters suffer from depression is because they stop chasing their dreams, and they keep thinking about it all the time. They keep wondering if things would have been different had they shown some courage.

“Did I make a mistake? Should I have shown some courage? My life could have been different. I would have been happy. Damn it!! Why didn’t I just choose the guitar over the stethoscope?”

Fear Of Failure Shouldn’t Stop You

What is the worst thing that could happen if you take a risk? You may fail. Nothing worse than this can happen. Always remember, failure teaches you more than success. The experience will teach you a lot. Risk gets you out of your comfort zone and teaches you more about yourself. The most important thing is that you get to know the outcome. If you don’t take risks, then you will never know the outcome and you will keep thinking about it your whole life with guilt.

Through our Non-Profit Organization, we have been supporting underprivileged kids in their sporting activities. We have been training them in their favourite sport, providing kit and other required sports materials to them, and have been helping them to attend selections. Apart from these, we have been conducting life-skill sessions to make them understand that problems are not something that is to be feared. Problems are part of our lives and we need to face them boldly and find solutions. Sport is the best way to impart these teachings as playing is fun and everything that is learnt through games will remain with us for the rest of our lives.

It's Time To Throw Away The Smiling Mask

It was raining heavily, and I was sitting on a chair in my bedroom, reading a message from one of my relatives. He was telling me how I had made the mistake of quitting my high paying job and was advising me that it’s still not late and that I can get back to it. I have received many such messages and advice from many people over the last three years since the time I quit my software job.

The last three years hasn’t been a smooth journey for us as there have been a lot of setbacks. The two lockdowns hit us hard and affected us in many ways. But, as I mentioned earlier, the game not just changed my life, but it also made me resilient and I have been able to deal with my problems with a smile on my face. I also had a smile on my face when I was in my software job, but that was a smiling mask that I had to put on to hide my pain as I headed to work each day.

I received a message again. This time it was from a different person. It was one of our organization’s students. He had got selected for training in a reputed football academy. He had also mentioned how his life had no aim till about three years ago and how our organization gave him a direction and helped him understand what he wants to achieve in his life. He also thanked our organization for helping adolescents control their emotions, especially anger. He mentioned how we played an integral role in improving their sense of responsibility, the ability to express themselves, their self-confidence and to avoid bad habits.

I forwarded this message to my relative who had been constantly messaging me and telling me about the biggest mistake that I had made of quitting my software job three years ago. After forwarding this message, I typed another message and sent it to him. It has been more than a week, and I have not yet received a reply from him. I often keep looking at the message that I had sent to him. The message read: “Always remember that promotion or increment should never be considered as parameters that determine your career progress. It should be based on your happiness and based on the change that you have managed to bring about in your life and others around.”

Every time I read the messages that I receive from our organization’s students informing me about their achievements, it puts a smile on my face. Not the smiling mask, but a natural one that comes from the bottom of my heart.


AUTHOR NAME - Vinod Balan

AUTHOR EMAIL ID - vinod.balan883@gmail.com

Comments